"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Sunday, January 28, 2007

the gratitude journal


I love to garden. I lose myself in my garden sometimes - just thinking, contemplating, reflecting. I love how each plant rewards me in some way. Whether it be a gorgeous rose or the perfume of rose geranium leaves as I brush past. Or my apple tree giving me shade. I have had an abundant harvest this week - my tomatoes are giving me enough fruit for a meal and my lemon tree has some lemons colouring up at the moment. My zucchinis are out of control. The pumpkin vines are starting to flower too, promising pumpkins for winter soup. Oh and my chickens are giving me one dozen eggs a day ! can you believe that? gorgeous rich yellow yolks, freshly laid by my girls.
I had a bit of a hiccough in my life on Thursday. I received a very distressing phone call and I literally had a meltdown* It was a family matter, very distressing for me. usually I am the coper, the fixer of problems, but this time, I was pushed OVER THE EDGE ~ I lost it. After the meltdown, I remembered to bring myself back into the present moment, started to breath and worked through it.
* * *
sorting through stuff and keeping in the present moment is working well for me. accepting my life as it is right now, not wishing I lived in France or anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere for that matter. makes me settled. Oh! ~ the thoughts still creep in but I just keep bringing myself back. Enjoying where I am.
However, I still allow myself to dream! we must never forget to dream.
all this is from my simple abundance journal.
* * *
this week I started my 'spiritual inventory' - 100 blessings in my life. AND a daily dialogue ~ where we are supposed to write down our mind chatter into a journal. a separate journal to our gratitude journal. But I have decided to do all of my 'work' in the same journal. collage, gratitude, emotions - all of me is going into the one journal. And when that is full, I will start another. Otherwise, I will become ratty & scattered again * and I don't want that.
what do you think about my produce below?


enough tomatoes for a salad and lemons for a lemon tart. all organic, all grown by me ! these are the beginnings of true slow food.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to see you are back with us. I am sorry to hear you had to deal with such bad news. Hope things turn around for you very soon. I will say a prayer for you.

Hugs,
Connie

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I am so glad you are able to rise above or at least find a way to cope through whatever distressed you.
You definitely have a wonderful abundance growing in your garden, and how wonderful you get fresh eggs as well. We had a lemon tree that was old and yet full...the sweetest taste ever. Sadly it had to be taken out and I actually still feel horrible about losing that tree. Yours look so yummy.
Glad to see you back.
XOXOXO

Janet said...

I am so jealous! Those lemons are beautiful and the tomatoes, too. I wish I could grow my own fruits and veggies but here in the high desert I don't have much luck.

I think putting everything into one journal makes sense. I've been working on my 100 blessings, too.

Tinker said...

It's good to see you back! And your produce is delicious looking! What bounty from your garden, your thumb must be bright green :)
and your girls, a DOZEN a day? My gosh they're busy little hens!

Right now I'm envious because the lemons I couldn't reach FROZE, as did a lot of my other perennial herbs - though I'm hoping they'll come back. The Southern Hemisphere sounds wonderful to me right now!

XOXO

Daisy Lupin said...

How lovely to be able to pick your own lemons off your tree, you see there are good and bad points about living anywhere. I do envy you your chooks, one dozen eggs a day how many hens do you have?

gma said...

You do have so much to be thankful for Robyn. Love lemons...in tea, in water,in tarts...I've got a great Lemon bar recipe to send you. The tomatos look delicious....mmmm a little fresh basil and olive oil with those. Yum!!Fresh eggs...life is good!

Sheila said...

This all looks and sounds wonderful Robyn. All those eggs and lemons, have you ever made lemon curd..?
I'd give anything for some of those fresh little tomatoes right now, all ours are picked in the south and shipped, and have no flavour by the time they reach here. Enjoy the fruits of your garden.
xo

Pam Aries said...

Yay! you are taking lemons and making..lemonade!.. er... uh, a Lemon tart in this case! I am proud of you! I can't wait til gardening time!

Suzie Ridler said...

When I got your email Robyn I decided to not overwhelm you further with email, give you the space you obviously needed to get grounded and be OK. You sound better and not to worry, family issues can be overwhelming to the biggest of warriors.

I love your food! Oh, so wonderful. It's amazing to be where you are, live your life and grow life at the same time. Amazing.

Heather said...

Hang in there Robyn! I love the picture of your produce! Those lemons are just gorgeous, as all the tiny tomatoes!

A bird in the hand said...

I'm coming right over. Please get the comfrey tea ready. Bless the chickens and your out-of-control zucchini. I don't know how long I'll be staying, but I may never leave. So start building that annex in your garden.

Oh, and if I'm a little late, please save some salad and a slice of lemon tart.

Thank you.

P.S. You think I'm kidding, dontcha???

xoxo

Beth said...

Sure wish it was summer here,,I miss my flowers and veggies! Yours looks great!

paris parfait said...

So glad you weathered the emotional storm! And the tomatoes and lemons look delicious!