"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Cornwall

Laura - taken in her later life, in Australia.


I have never been to Cornwall. Well, not in this life anyhow. But ever since I can remember, the word Cornwall has stirred my soul. It has made me wonder. Funny, how things happen. I always thought my Pa's family came from Devon. East Stonehouse to be exact. That is what it says on my Pa's birth certificate and I know that they sailed to Australia from Plymouth. My great grandfather was a chief petty officer with the Royal Navy and they came to live in Australia sometime in the early 1900's. But just the last few months I have learned that my great grandma, who I didn't know, came from Cornwall. Her family name was Tregilgas. She had a brother named Charlie. I have been looking for family ties via the internet with the help of my friend Daisy Lupin - not much so far but I haven't really been serious about it, once I am - watch out! I don't want to find someone I am related to and go to England and knock on their door and say - 'hi, I am a long lost relative from Australia' ! NO! I just want to know my roots, to know why I am so interested in hedgewitchery, herbs & the moon. Ever since I was little, I have known about herbs. I have been interested in them. Not for culinary purposes but medicinal and folklore reasons. I would even wrap weeds around my teddy & dolls legs when they were hurt. How did I know to do that?




I have an affinity with the lady above, my great Nan, Laura. I wish I had known her. Do you think maybe she was a witch? I do.



My favourite CD, Medicine Woman, that I play constantly is by a musician called Medwyn Goodall. I was looking on the net the other night, for some more of his music and found out that he lives in Cornwall and has a CD by that name. I bought it. I received it in the mail yesterday and it haunts my soul. love it!!!!



And a few days ago, I received a lovely package of postcards in the mail from Sheila. All from Cornwall. Thank you so much Sheila xo it was a lovely, lovely thing to do.

16 comments:

Sheila said...

What great photos of your G/Nan.
It's too bad you never knew her. I knew mine, but was so young I never thought to ask the questions I would like to know the answers to now.
I believe any instinctive knowledge you may have regarding herbs and the like may be a cellular memory. It's quite likely you knew all about these things in the past.
I'm glad you recieved the post cards Robyn. I have lots of photos too from that trip. If you can find out where your family was from I may have a photo (or 50 LOL)taken in that area.

Tinker said...

Hi, Robyn! I've been trying to get caught up on blogs, but Blogger isn't being very cooperative with me today. But I did see you - your beautiful pixie self in the photo and wanted you to know how absolutely gorgeous you are!

Love these photos of your great-grandmother - she looks very comfortable and at home outdoors, so perhaps she did have some hedgewitchery! How fascinating to trace your heritage back - and then to have all these Cornwall synchronicities (those always feel like messages from the Universe when they happen to me).

Hope you're having a wonderful creative day!!
XOXO

paris parfait said...

Well you do seem to have some affinity with Cornwall - perhaps your relatives did come from there or spent time there (and my husband is from Devon - Plymouth).

Pam Aries said...

Tomorrow night on our cable TV Discovery Channel,,,CORNWALL!!!!!!

Daisy Lupin said...

Hey, Any idea where abouts in Cornwall, I'll scan you some photos I have of Cornwall and send them to you as an attachment to an email, when life has calmed down.

KaiBlue said...

I love this post. The picture of my School on my blog isnt far from Stonehouse in Plymouth. I used to live in a small apartment there when first on my own..lol.. It's near the dockyard in plymouth.
Medwyn's Cd is lovely. I adore the picture of St Michaels Mount on the front. I got stuck there once when the tide covered the causeway to it..
Im going to find you something special from cornwall when Im there, for all the kindness you've shown me..
peace, kai

Anonymous said...

Dear Robyn,
You definitely have some ties with Cornwall. Keep up your hunting I can't wait to see what you find.

Hugs,
Connie

gma said...

Possibly we have ancestrial memory encoded in our DNA. Some things we are just born with. Or perhaps your Nan is whispering in your ear.
Hope you get to journey to Cornwell to find whats waiting for you there.

Suzie Ridler said...

It sounds like you're getting ready to do an history journey Robyn, into the past and into the ghosts that linger around you. I love that picture of your great nan and agree, she's definitely a magickal woman just like you.

Thank you for mentioning that CD! I've been looking for that kind of music forever, will have to order it.

A bird in the hand said...

It's perfectly natural to want to know your origins. Tregilgas is immediately recognizable as a Cornish name. Cornwall has always been a mysterious world unto itself. You carry it in your genes.

xoxo

Laurie said...

Love old family photos, and yes, I think your Great Nan was a witch ~ I think that's awesome! Hope you are able to find out some more about relatives in Cornwall ~ I think that would be a wonderful place to visit. Your cd sounds very soothing!

Carole Burant said...

Love those pictures of your gran...I never knew my grandparents on my dad's side since they died before I was born and my grandparents on my mom's side died when I was in my teens. I wish I would have thought to ask them questions like I'd love to ask now!! I do hope you can find all your roots...working on a family tree is hard work but so worth it when you find someone you are related to! Good luck in your search:-) Hugs xox

Gill said...

Maybe you are, her>?=
Who knows! Cornwall is in your soul Robyn.
xo

Annabelle said...

This is so intriguing.Maybe she was and maybe you as well. I missed Cornwall when I was in England but it sounds beautiful and mysterious.Hope you find out more about your ancestery.

Annabelle ~^..^~ xo

Unknown said...

Wonderful to have photo's to dream and ponder. I am lucky to STILL have a grandmother...97...and still going strong. Love to talk with her and understand the connections. Enjoy the journey!

Anonymous said...

hi there, I came here from Ninnie's blog and this post interested me. I believe we've all been here many times, in other words I believe in past lives and it's quite possible that you were a medicine woman of the village in a past life and that's how you knew about herbs, etc. Particularly as you used to do this as a young child. We have our strongest subconcious memories of past lives while we are children . I've been told most of my adult life that I'm a natural born 'healer' and someone once said to me that I was a healer in a past life and I think that's probably correct. I'm australian too by the way.