"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Friday, December 29, 2006

the guest house ~ recommended


a few days ago Katie Kendrick mentioned this poem to me. reading it, she said, helped her get through those days when she was feeling, well, not ok.
* it was one of MY days of feeling 'slightly mental'

never hearing of it nor the author, I looked it up on the net ~ and gee - this could have been written for me! You see, I am usually a joyful soul, but sometimes I feel melancholy, sad, anger & intolerance. And I have been fighting these feelings, feeling guilty for having the not so nice emotions. I am also a person who puts their full self out there, who wears their heart on their sleeve & often I am misunderstood. but when I read and re-read this poem - I realized that I am ok, it is alright to feel all of these emotions as they make me who I am - and even better - by accepting all of these emotions - I am being healed and helped 'from beyond'
thankyou Katie xo


This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

~Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi~

7 comments:

Janet said...

How true! I love the message in that poem. We all need to just love ourselves no matter what and let ourselves be whoever we are. If we feel crappy then feel crappy. If we feel great then feel great. Thank you for sharing this poem with us. I'm going to print it out and keep it.

Lisa said...

Ah, how I love Rumi.....and you, my friend.

Sheila said...

I agree with Janet. This poem is a keeper. Thanks for sharing Robyn.
Your new blog is so pretty, I love it. you have done a beautiful job..but then you always do..
xx

Anonymous said...

I think these emotions are common to us all. This poem hits my heart for sure. Thanks for finding another keeper.

Love your pink dots. Your blog is very nice...a good start to a new year.

Hugs,
Connie

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I am here because You are a person that I am looking forward to learn something new. I love the moon, and Rumi too. Don't read those emails with bad energy. And yes, do your blog for YOU. And share it with us. Happy new year

kansasrose said...

Oh Rumi Rocks...he is the best! I love his poetry...great start! YEAH! miss Robyn is back and she is powerful! Love to you my sister and friend and fellow Wednesday child...:)

Suzie Ridler said...

Robyn, I love your new home and think the way you handled that situation to be very mature and level-headed. Good for you for starting out fresh and doing it the way you want! I hope you had a fantastic summer solstice and are doing great.