"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Saturday, June 2, 2007

class distinction


just lately, I have been having discussions with a very good friend about class distinction in society. Living down here in Australia, we don't have 'classes' as such. Oh we have the hoity toity society set, who get their names in all the papers and we do have our intellectuals who always think they are above everyone. I don't quite understand class distinction or snobbery - I can remember learning about it in high school and the Feudal system... but that was history. as a child it didn't really exist for me. I guess there were girls who thought they were above the rest of us - but I accepted that and moved on.
being of 'good cornish stock' I guess I am of the working class ~ I certainly wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth.... but just what is it that makes these upper class snobs think that they are any better than me ? ? ? funny thing is - I have come across it on blogging - yes, shock & horror.. snobbery is alive and well.



The divisions among classes in the 18th Century varied by the person describing the classes. An interesting description is that by Daniel Defoe (Quoted from Porter, English Society, pp. 67-8).

1. The great, who live profusely

2. The rich, who live plentifully

3. The middle sort, who live well

4. The working trades, who labour hard, but feel no want

5. The country people, farmers, etc. who fare indifferently

6. The poor, who fare hard

7. The miserable, that really pinch and suffer want

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always believed that Mother Earth's children should be treated as equals. It is until we have committed a crime that we should be judged. It should not matter where we live, how much money we have, who our family are, what colour our skin is, how many limbs or brain cells we have.... we should all be equal in each others eyes. It is only when we have committed a crime against humananity, against another or ourselves, that we should be put up for judgement. I believe that even then, considering the crime, we should be given the opportunity of rehabilitation and redemption.

You sure have given me something to think about my dear friend. I too think it a shame when others place themselves higher than another. When people have millions of dollars and others have none. When a person walks by someone in need and turns the other way. It is a real damn shame!

xox

Peggy said...

I have always felt the looking down of noses at me or my life style. My answer to those that look down their noses... Don't keep your nose stuck too high above everyone else or you might just drown at the next rain! :) I do understand what you mean though. You see cetain little clicks of bloggers that seem to get upset if you happen upon one of their blogs and leave a comment. They only blog for their group and heaven forbid we try to take part. I will just keep on being me and enjoying my little corner of the blog neighborhood. :)

A bird in the hand said...

The way you describe it, it's the same in Canada. I dislike cliques. I don't understand people who look down on other people and I think they are poorer for it.
xoxo

Sheila said...

I hear you.
I don't take snooty bloggers too seriously anymore. I used to, until I realised they can pretend to be as high and mighty as they want, but most of us will never know how they really live. The decent honest ones (like you) shine through.
The others could be living in squalor for all we know. It has been, in my limited experience, shown that those who have the most are the least pretentious. They aren't trying to prove anything to anyone, they are confident in who and what they are without having to stick their noses in the air.
The rest are just wanna be's..!

gma said...

This was my message from TUT yesterday..."Yeah, OK, so you wonder about those born in the poorest of countries. Are you so sure that they are alone, without love, and unable to manifest change? That at times they don't pity those born into cities of glass where productivity is often worshipped more than kinship? That they are somehow there without a say in the matter? They're where they most wanted to be, this time around, as are you, though this doesn't mean you can't both learn and find joy in reaching out to one another."
xoxo

Gina E. said...

Hey Robyn, now I understand that cryptic email you sent me a week ago about why you haven't been blogging - WOW! What a great bike ride! I was urging Ken to join the Ulysses club down here for the last few years, but he never got around to it. You were lucky with the weather - the photos are superb!
I won't comment here about snobs etc. You and I have talked about the "precious" bloggers before, so we know where we stand with each other! BTW what chance do you think we have in the Fed? Methinks Mr R has mud on his face thanks to certain thugs!!!!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Most of my lineage are working class people and I do have some colorful people in pass who lived quite the life.

Daisy Lupin said...

I know I feel ashamed for all it protests it isn'at I do think that England is still riddled with the class system, and it is not a good thing.

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Robyn, I pretty much do my own thing and if someone thinks they are better than me, I don't care. They may think such things and even act on it but then I don't think they are important either and they can't effect my life. I guess it all balances out. Looking at Defoe's list, I would place myself at #4.

Everydaythings said...

This time in the Uk I noticed the 'class'thing a lot less prevalent than it used to be when I grew up there...and a good thing too. But....strangely enough I often come across a version of it - snobbery here in oz - and off course online I hate those hooty tooty snobby cliques!!!

mrsnesbitt said...

Robyn........the thing I love about biking, is because it is indeed classLESS! When you pull up anywhere nobody gives a toss about who you are or what you do or what you represent!

Dxx