"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

staring out at me. . .


next to my computer I have a photo - a tin photo of my great grandma from Cornwall. Laura CURNOW Tregilgas. That is all I know of her... oh I know her children's names and her husband's name but I don't know exactly where in Cornwall that she actually lived - at the moment it is looking like either St. Austell, St.Erth or Redruth - all guesses.... She looks so sad - her husband was chief petty officer in the Royal Navy and they moved to Australia sometime in the early 1900's. He died while on active duty, leaving her in this strange land to bring up her children. She believed in the Fay, I am told. Does she look so sad because she is missing her Cornwall?
The other day, I 'saw' her while meditating - she was walking along a steep path along the edge of the ocean - I am sure she is helping me find her.... after all, her son, my Pa would say to me that I had the 'Tregilgas ways' whatever they are. . .

9 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

What a challenge in life she was faced with being on her own like that! She reminds me of my grandma too, she came to Canada and raised two girls on her own and couldn't even speak English. This made her so strong too. She was a mystic and I hope I'm like her, like you are like your Grandma.

Tinker said...

She looks lovely, though maybe just a bit sad or lonely - but I can only imagine how hard that must have been, suddenly widowed in another country, left to raise her children alone...How wonderful to have that vision/connection with your grandmother like that, Robyn.
xo

Anonymous said...

I am so sure that our mothers and grandmothers are in heaven guiding us along the way. For me dreams are considered such a gift...

Hugs,
Connie

KaiBlue said...

Hello robyn..
I think your Grandma is lovely.. I found a record you might want to check out.
England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
Name: Laura Matilda Tregilgas
Birth: Dec 1859 - St Austell, Cornwall England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983
about Laura Tregilgas 1892.

That marriage record is from Stonehouse, Devon which would make sence as it's next to the Naval Base..
worth a gander?
Peace, Kai.

peppylady (Dora) said...

it amazing how on ind ores self preservation and becomes strong in long run.
Sounds like your grandma has some back bone.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

When I first saw the photo of her lovely, lovely face I thought perhaps it was one of those things back then where people didn't smile for photos. So I covered all but her eyes and could see they did, indeed, look a bit sad. Is the photo dated at all? I hope you are able to find out more about her - perhaps Kai's comment will get you on the trail. I am sure she loves the fact her great granddaughter keeps her so close.
XOXO

A bird in the hand said...

I see a resemblance to you.

I only knew my paternal grandmother because my other grandmother died when my own mother was 14. Anyway, my grandmother was a gifted lacemaker, and when her eyesight began to fail, she would ask me to thread her needles. Now that I'm sewing, I'm very impatient when threading needles, so one day I got exasperated and yelled for my grandmother to help me thread the needle. It worked instantly, and now I call on her every time I have trouble with the smaller-eyed needles, and it works every time.
xxx

Rosa said...

I have yet been able to meditate deeply. I have too many things running in my mind. I'm hoping, one day I can and reach places I never have.

paris parfait said...

She does look a bit sad - but then doesn't everyone who's really lived their life, with all its joys and pain? I hope you find your ancestors, because it certainly seems as though you have a deep connection. xo