"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Saturday, April 14, 2007

cornish blood running through my veins

yes! Laura has been found!
thanks to super sleuth DAISY LUPIN... she didn't settle til she found Laura for me - forgoing her housework, sleep & cooking I am sure.
I have been like some demented fool, searching the internet for my cornish roots like they were going to grow out of the computer screen, not sleeping, Joe telling me he is nearly out of socks, Sophie wanting to be fed And shock and horror, not even worrying about blogging. . .hello?. . . I am on a mission here, to find my cornish roots. . .
The name was spelled incorrectly that is why Laura was so hard to track down... but Daisy and her History major did not stop til the job was done... even though Laura was born in East Stonehouse, Devon ( and yes, I was so disappointed when I found this out) - her parents were born in Cornwall - father Francis in St Columb and mother Elizabeth in Perran. Funny thing too, is that Laura had a sister called Louisa, I never knew this til yesterday. & that is my eldest daughters name.
So I am from strong Cornish stock and have real cornish blood flowing through my veins. OMG! I cannot believe it - at last. (I know I sound over top, but I am really excited !)
I will never ever be able to thank Daisy enough! You just don't know how much this means to me. My mum was saying just the other day that she has noticed the older I get the more I am looking like Laura and I am even starting to do things in her ways - so I have the Tregilgas ways for sure... even my garden is looking like hers......I feel like that part of me that was missing is finally coming home. Now all I need is that promised trip to Cornwall and I will be complete.


the picture above was taken in Devon in 1914, just before Laura and her children left to come to Australia. The man with them is her brother Charles.... Laura's husband William had come to Australia with the Royal Navy and loved it so much he wanted his family to grow up here... sadly he died while on active duty ..she was left a widow in a strange land with all these children ..

13 comments:

Sherri Williams said...

How wonderful to be learning so much about your roots! It is very exciting I know. Our family recently had a book published about our history and it has been fascinating reading it.

My kids have had such fun with it! We had just finished doing a unit on the Pilgrims and as they were reading our family book they recognized names from our studies!!

It is so fun and I can totally understand your excitement.

Kudos to Daisy Lupin!

Ann said...

I have a love for Cornwall too. Not sure if my ancestors are from there but I know they come from the British Isle mainly Scotland & Ireland. But I can always dream. If you want to read 2 excellent novels on Cornwall try The Shell Seekers & Coming Home by Rosemunde Pilcher. You will feel like you're there. I waiting for my dream vacation too.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

what a wonderful thing for Daisy to do for you...truly wonderful. It's really something when pieces start coming together like that.
Which one is Laura in that photo? the older ones all look the same age.
Are any of her other descendants still alive that you know of?

I can feel your excitement. and again, so amazing of Daisy to track this all for you.

XOXO

Sheila said...

Hooray for Daisy..!
And hooray for you Robyn, I do hope this gives you some peace of mind. I know you will want to find out more (knowing you..!) but this is an excellent start.
Coincidence you should have named your daughter Louisa ?
there are no coincidences..!
Great news..!!

Annie Jeffries said...

What a happy ending for you Robyn and I have a little bit of an idea of what you are feeling. Yesterday I was going through some of my mom's old papers and I found her baptismal certificate. It was then that I finally learned the Italian root of my maternal grandmother's name. I have always known her as Marie Prince. The name was anglicized from Principe. I'm very excited to discover this because a second cousin of mine (in her late 80's) called me recently asking if I knew the name. Now I can call and tell her.

Carole Burant said...

What a terrific job of sleuthing our dear Daisy did:-) I can just imagine how very excited you are about this find!! To know that you are truly from Cornish blood is wonderful...you were not having these feelings for nothing my friend!! xoxo

Lisa said...

This is really wonderful Robyn. Congrats and congrats to Daisy for being such a friend. :)

Lila Rostenberg said...

What a great friend you have in Daisy! Your Laura sounds like a strong woman (my daughter is named Laura, I used to wish it were my name!)

Peggy said...

What a great friend Daisy is to have researched and not give up. Isn't it great to know your ancestors!

Anonymous said...

Daisy is really a wonderful friend to work so hard for you to find this information. So happy for you and I hope your wish comes true for your visit.

Hugs,
Connie

A bird in the hand said...

It's like finding that missing link. For some reason it's very important for us to know "where" we come from, for our self-knowledge, who we are and even "why" we are. I'm very happy for you; this is truly *big*.
xoxo

Jana B said...

Isn't it crazy how addictive geneology can get?? I have to watch myself, I forget to sleep when I get too into it!

gma said...

Robyn
I'm so happy for you. How great getting this information. It is wonderful for you honoring your roots...and wonderful that Daisy knew that and how to find. Many blessings to you my friend!
xo