"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Thursday, January 18, 2007

lost in the mess that is my 'art' room


have you wondered why I haven't been visiting as much or not at all? well ~ first of all, I got carried away cleaning up my favourites list on my computer. . . delete, delete, delete! OOPS - just deleted all my blog links. so I have been slowly tracking each of you down via comments & I do apologize if I haven't got to you yet ~ hopefully I will. If not, a gentle nudge will be helpful ! I have also been moving furniture & decluttering as well as cleaning out 'stuff' to make room for more 'stuff'


the above dresser was in my kitchen & needed to be moved into the dining room to make room for my new kitchen bench. I am lucky enough to have a kitchen designer for a husband!


we 'won' the dresser at an auction about 10 years ago. all we did was scrub it & put 'new' old glass in the doors. The original glass had a crack in it as well as a pepsi transfer on it. It came from Egypt & was one of the original dressers used by the english back 'whenever'. It was absolutely filthy when we bought it, had cockroach eggs in the drawers and a layer of fat down one side. Made me sick. I knew the cockroach eggs would never hatch as it had been fumigated to an inch of its life - the smell was atrocious. Our customs wanted to make sure no bugs came into our country through this dresser. However, after lots of hot water and sunlight soap and much elbow grease, the dresser looked pretty good. I love the patina of old, chipped painted furniture. oh yes, we could have stripped it right back to natural timber & done all that fancy smancy work on it, but it just wouldn't have the character any more.

and then I started to clean out my creative mess. I don't think I will ever, ever get to the bottom of it. disgusting is a word that comes to mind. OR

OUT OF CONTROL


scary, don't you think?

please, if I don't come visit, can you come and look for me ? or send out a search party....

20 comments:

Janet said...

This doesn't look half as messy as my studio! I love the cabinet! I'm glad you didn't strip it down. The patina is great.

Suzie Ridler said...

You did amazing work on that cabinet, I can't believe it was in that bad shape when you "won" it, look at what you've done! Amazing Robyn. I'm just about to go upstairs and deal with my crafts mess, LOL. We might need a search party for both of us!

Anonymous said...

LOL, I know what you mean. I just started to clean up my mess and I'm nearly there. How can we be expected to be creative if we can't get near our supplies lol. The cabinet is gorgeous and the story was delightful. You are a treasure. Let me know if you find anything arty that you may like to swap for something you need.... I may have just what you need. Lots of love, Nicole xox.

Daisy Lupin said...

At the moment my heart jumps for joy and goes tee hee hee whenever someone shows the mess their creative space is in, that looks like my whole house at the moment, with bags arriving from my mother's and me having no time for housework. Wow is there going to be a great clear up in a few weeks.
I adore the dresser it is beautiful. Lucky you having a kitchen designer husband.

KaiBlue said...

Miss Robyn..
As i explained to Pam..

People who are organized are just to lazy to hunt and look for things!!

I love the creative process, your's is neat..Mine will take a search warrant from interpol to find stuff again..
:)
Peace, Kai

Lady Prism said...

but it's a pretty mess...

I love the cabinet..wish i were as creative as you are...

Lila Rostenberg said...

Your "creative mess" looks very familiar! Right before my husband was getting home tonight,I shuffled my mess off of the kitchen table and into an open box, shook off and spread out the lace tablecloth and lit a candle. He came in and said, " the house looks nice...!"
BYW, I love the color of your cupboard/dresser!

Naturegirl said...

LoVe the cabinet and the CoLor! What is about us all cleaning and organizing this month!! I'm am totaly
obsessed with getting out the clutter!

Gill said...

The green cabinet is great! I can relate to the mess. I am sure though, being a cappy, that you know where most things are in that pile of stuff. But if someone were to ask you where, you couldn't tell them...it would be easier to just go get it yourself!
xo

A bird in the hand said...

Scary, NO!! You have surfaces and we can SEE them!! My work area is scarier than yours by far.

I love the Welsh dresser. Odd that it came from Egypt though.

You're inspiring me to continue with my decluttering...it's proving to be a sloooow process.

xoxo

Shell said...

Hah! You think that's bad? You should see the absolute crap that I have clogging up my art room. Never mind Ms Robyn, you'll get through it all I promise.

That cabinet is beautiful, and I love the story behind it.

Pear tree cottage! said...

don't touch anything!!!! :o) I love it just the way it is truly I do.

After the week I have had it is a blessing to see some real happy moments of a crafter all over the place. and I would LOVE!!! the cabinet green or aqua is my colours for sure.

it is beautiful Robyn.

Robyn yes I had lost you but now I see you had moved and I am back changed my favourites list and will catch up agin soon.

may your day be filled with joy.
Lee-ann

gma said...

The sunlight in your room on your dresser looks so peaceful....the dresser is really cool...love the old paint and color of it.

Gina E. said...

I also think you did the right thing by leaving the cabinet with its original paintwork - I always like "original" anything. Those gum blossoms are stunning! There are some miniature flowering gumtrees in a suburb near us, and they must love drought conditions or something, because they are flowering profusely despite the lack of rain!

Pam Aries said...

You 'ain't" SEEN messy, girl! Til you have seen my ungodly pile aof artstuff in my living room waiting to be organized! I love your cabinet! dishes with ROSES! Yay!

Gena said...

I love that dresser! how fabulously shabby chic!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

First of all I love, love, love that dresser.
Secondly I actually took a photo of the tornado that is my studio yesterday and couldn't bring myself to post it. Once I begin to wade through it all I will need that search party. Not to mention from the upheaval in my life recently this house itself is in a state of disarray. I stand before it all and think "this is WAY too daunting, where do I begin?" Yours is neat in comparison!
XOXO

paris parfait said...

The dresser is absolutely beautiful. Amazing what a little TLC can do for a vintage piece. As for the mess, little by little it will get sorted. I'm in the process of trying to organise everything at my place and it seems overwhelming - but we'll both get there in the end! xo

Annie Jeffries said...

Mary in a miniskirt, Robyn. Your room looks about as bad as mine!! I think there is hope for me after all if you can clean things out. I will follow in your footsteps.

Beautiful dresser and what a story attached to it. C-eggs, how gross, but dead on arrival is definitely preferred.

Rosa said...

Lawd that looks familar! I swear, how does it clutter itself like that? I think little faeries run around while we're not looking and mess things up. It just happens too quickly to blame us, right? That cupboard is fabulous! I love the color. Very lucky you winning that bute! xoxo