"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Saturday, December 30, 2006

gritting my teeth & accepting what will be


for a few months, I thought I had bandicoots in my yard - digging holes under trees, scattering mulch everywhere - but no, it is an english blackbird and not only do I have one, it seems I have a whole family of the damn things. I think they are the same ones that delivered my faery gift from Daisy & I think they liked it so much here, that they decided to set up home. Ahh yes, they have a beautiful song and I love birdlife BUT - this bird takes great delight in getting into my garden, especially along the pathways and having a wonderful old time throwing lucerne mulch, this way & that. and does it throw it on the garden? NO. I sat and watched it this morning, through my kitchen window and it gets a piece of hay, and tosses it with wild abandon onto the path - not one piece but every single piece ~ one by one.... so I go and sweep it back into the garden, the bird flies off, watches me and when I am inside - back it comes and does it again. I have cursed and cursed this bird, each time I have sweep the mulch back but this morning, I noticed that it was actually getting snails. SNAILS! I have changed my mind about the blackbird now, of course, 'cause I hate snails. Have done for quite awhile - heck, I even blogged about it once before hating snails...... so I will continue to sweep the mulch back & grit my teeth as I go & keep thinking to myself - everything happens for a reason & some things in life are just sent to try us !!!!

9 comments:

Tinker said...

Well, at least the birdies're earning their keep, though it would be nice if they'd clean up after themselves, lol. Your new blog is adorable (as are you).
Thank you for your kind words and always being so encouraging. Wishing you a happy New Year, Miss Robyn. xo

Daisy Lupin said...

The trouble is Robyn, that a lot of English gardens are not mulched, so the poor birdie is probably used to just digging in soil for worms and snails and is thinking, what silly person is covering good soil up like this, better clear it for them. He came, for he is a fine male, the females are brown, with the faery parcel, I think, and then decided to send over for his wife so they could enjoy their new life together, I wonder if they will come back to England when your winter approaches? That smart blackbird could have the best of both worlds, living in Australia in your summer and coming back to England for ours.

Lisa said...

You make me smile. :)

Gina E. said...

Found ya!! And you're now my Favorites list again so hopefully I won't lose you! Hey, did my Christmas cake turn up? I am not worried about yours - I know how disappointed you were about it not turning out as you expected. Be nice to know what you thought of mine though...Ashleigh in Holland thinks her hubby liked mine better than hers - oh dear....

vicci said...

Love your new blog ms. R !!!! I wish mean people would just leave yo ALONE!!!! Happy New Year Sweetie.......

Unknown said...

Hi miss*R

You have made a beautiful new blog. I really like the look and feel. Somehow this story of the blackbird and the snails had me laughing -- sorry. It's just so visual, I want to draw it.

That's so unsettling about the people who write to you to give advice. One reason I like blogging is that there seems to be a code of honor: Say something nice or say nothing at all. What is with them?

J C said...

So glad you let the birdies stay. You know I am a birdie girl!! I dont care for caterpillars, but I know they turn into beautiful winged creatures. So...the birdies are doing your garden good! They won't stay forever...

tlchang said...

Snails are more destructive of the two 'evils', so you are probably getting the better end of the garden pests overall! I have crows who hang out it my yard/garden a few times a week - but they seem to stick to the lawn and eat - what? Worms maybe? Grubs - hopefully! Hooray for 'beneficials'! (That is auspicious and a good sign!!)

Sheila said...

This bird appears to watching you from the corner of his eye..!
Snails are so destructive, and disgusting..!
Hope you have a Great year in 2007 Robyn, it was wonderful meeting you this year..!