"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Friday, June 15, 2007

this new moon

By their Tre, their Pol, and Pen,
Ye shall know the Cornish men.”


I just cannot believe how things happen in life ~ last night I was sitting here, searching desperately for my roots when I decided to click on a link that had been sent to me ages ago ... and decided to search for Francis Tregilgas.... and there he was - full family tree, completed back to 1480.
descendants of John Tregilgas


they come from areas such as St. Ewe & Kea, Veryan & Mevagissey, St. Enoder and of course, St Columb Major - most of the early family seem to have been tinners.... whatever that is.

I haven't varified any of this yet - but it sure looks like my tree. A lady in the UK has been re-searching the Tregilgas name for many, many years - these are the results of her findings... it seems to me that she is the daughter of Laura's sister Louisa.. so we have a common link with Francis and Elizabeth.... when I found this late last night, I was beside myself with excitement - and it has made me feel even more settled. so I am a true cornish girl - through and through.
*sigh*

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How great for you to recieve al this info. I am sure you were verrrrry excited I know I would be. Love Hugs and Blessings

Everydaythings said...

Robyn - tinners were tin miners - there are still lots of old ruins of them left in cornwall - they had big chimneys to melt the tin. I have a photo of me next to one when I went to cornwall many years ago. I adore cornwall and youre very lucky to be a descendant. I tried toget work in cornwall, but then so did everyone else at the time...lol...its so nice there!!!

Gill said...

Must be wonderfull to be able to trace your family back that far :-}

Take care
((hugs))
Gill

Sheila said...

Robyn.. Tin mining was a huge industry in Cornwall many years ago. Check this link I found for you..

www.cornishlight.co.uk/mining-in-cornwall.htm

and of course wherever you have a mine in Cornwall ...you have 'knockers'...have you heard of them ?
My son had a little silver charm of one years ago..I wonder where it went..?

amelia said...

It's good when things are confirmed that way, even though your heart already knew....

Lila Rostenberg said...

I've just read through several of your posts.(after a long absence)

I think your "croning" is a wonderful thing to look forward to!

Now I know why one side of the healing doll who "made herself" for you was an ancient Celtic crone or cailleigh! It's almost eerie!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sorry I haven't got back to the cronie and yes I'm still interested in it although I'm not sure what exactly it is but if it my understanding it is about passage or celebration of coming of certain period in life.
I chance my e-mail address and send you and e-mail.

I've done genealogy and you'll search and search then you'll find that one piece then find it and it all start to fall in place.

Gill said...

You knew. You didn't need proof, did you?
xo
blue

Julie said...

Garden Girl and Sheila beat me to the punch regarding tinners. But here's something new: "They say if you look in any hole around the world you'll find a Cornishman looking for metal." (They mined copper too.) Or a Cornishwoman looking for stones, eh, Robyn?

Congratulations on finding your Cornish (Celtic) ancestors! Now you know how excited I was to learn about my Scottish (Celtic) ancestors.

gma said...

Robyn this is lovely. So happy you've made connections with your ancestors.