"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Thursday, April 19, 2007

are there faeries in my garden?

I took a wander around my back garden this morning - picking citrus bugs off my orange & lime trees, looking at the basil which has just about finished for the year and noticing how the garden is truly getting ready for winter - I love this time of year!

the morning is a crisp autumn one - the grass heavy with dew, the choughs having a fine old time in my magnolia, the magpies warbling and little finches in their hundreds twittering away in the ancient apple tree......
*yes, the same apple tree that I 'saved' - 'cept I didn't do a real good job as the borer is still munching away at the heart wood. But the apple tree is holding its own - it still looks healthy and hey! it is over 75 years old so it deserves to have a few barnacles and bumps.

do you think faeries live here?


Joe made me this birdhouse for my 40th birthday - behind is a lemon, just outside my kitchen door - I use old lemonade bottles for fly traps - along with a mixture of vegimite, sugar and water it is supposed to trap fruit fly before it can sting the fruit..

and nasturiums - I love them! the way they self seed everywhere. My grandfather grew these in his garden and would eat the leaves on bread and butter - an acquired taste. I wonder if there are nasturtium faeries?

11 comments:

Sheila said...

Robyn, how quickly summer passed. It seems only a short time ago you described getting your garden set up for spring and summer..and now it is over.
I enjoy Autumn most of all, it is a special time.
If you don't have faeries hiding in that tree then I don't know where they are.It looks like a perfect place to find them.
Is it the apple tree whose life you 'saved'...?
I often wondered what became of it.

Sheila said...

I'm glad you still have it.
Even if the worst happens and you do lose it one day, it will still be home to faeries, and fauna, and will make a good tree to hang charms and the like from.

Daisy Lupin said...

I love the nasturiums too, those beautiful bright orange red and yellow flowers. I will be planting mine at the end of this month. I am sure there is an nasturium fairy. Also fairies will definitely be living in a 75 year old apple tree.

Anonymous said...

I think that the Faeries would fine it hard to decide which part of your garden to settle in. The are so many beautiful places to choose from. In fact, your garden reminds me of one of my favourite childhood books.... "The wishing tree" or something like that. The tales always took me far away.

I've never really been one to like 'leaves' and admire anyone who does. They re so very good for us. My late Uncle Peter used to put sugar into iceberg lettuce leaves.... Hmmm

gma said...

Hi Robyn
Here is a site on Flower Faeries:
http://www.flowerfaeries.com/language_of_flowers.shtml
There is a Nasturtium Faerie.
:-) I know that there are alot of faeries living around you...you accept and believe in them....they like that!

Peggy said...

I always enjoy visiting your garden! You can just see the love in all your trees and plants.

Sherri Williams said...

What a lovely garden!! I love the tree and YES!! I think fairies live there. I'll have to show this to DD in the morning. She will for sure think so. She has taken to leaving little presents around our yard for the fairies. Her lastest was a nice setting for four, plates, utenisle and all. She made spoons from leaves and forks from sticks and she found sharp rocks for knives!! She is so cute and in love with the fairies.

A bird in the hand said...

What a wonderful old tree. For sure it is a faerie condominium!

I love your garden, as you know. Thank you for sharing it. xoxo

P.S. I've had nasturtium flowers in salads.

Tinker said...

I love your garden - it's beautiful!

What a sweet (and talented) husband to make you that lovely birdhouse for your birthday.

--And yes, it does look like fairies may live in there!
xo

paris parfait said...

The nasturiums are lovely. And of course faeries are everywhere! xo

Kim Campbell said...

A) I see faces of animals in the tree
B)I saw leaf move at he bottom of the tree picture