"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Thursday, February 1, 2007

I love to go a-wandering. .

In Woodford we don't have footpaths and our roads are very narrow. So, it is difficult to go for a nice long walk - between dogs running out at you and biting your feet off and having to jump into the bushes when some ratbag drives past doing twice the speed limit - it makes for a dangerous pastime to go walking. So I drive up to the top of the mountains to Leura or Katoomba. Where I want to live oneday, about 10mins from my home here in Woodford. Yesterday I went by myself to Katoomba. It was misty - I love it. There is something about Katoomba that speaks to my soul - a whispering. When I am there, I can feel a bubble of something in my solar plexus and I don't know what it is. I love to walk by myself -just thinking and sometimes talking to myself. I fit right in, up at Katoomba, it is known for its oddballs! So armed with my camera, looking like a tourist - I started my walk. I often wonder what people think when I stop and take photos of their homes. I was half expecting some deranged soul to come flying out, brandishing a stick telling me to get out of it!
this is what I saw:


this house above is FOR SALE! hmmmmm - I think I could live there. I would paint the fence a different colour though. Look at the ancient tree ferns, they must be years old. I love homes made from sandstone. Our home here in Woodford is a traditional mountains weatherboard built somewhere around 1927. a baby compared to castles in the UK or a chateaux in downtown France. But classed as an old home here in Australia.

above, is a typical federation home in the mountains. I love the leadlight windows

I am not sure what the owners of this home thought, then I poked my camera through the gate. But I thought the garden was delightful!

and then. . . .

I spied this:

plain jane or a blank canvas?

Kai, I will let you be the judge!

15 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Oh Robyn I LoVe the federation home..perhaps we can be neigbours up on that hill! Now would that not be fun!

Sheila said...

I love the walls and gates like we used to get in the UK. We don't get that as much in Canada, all the snow, they would make life difficult perhaps, I don't know. I agree with NG, that federation house looks so cozy..!

Annie Jeffries said...

It's a BUG! Blank canvas, for sure.

Annie Jeffries said...

Well, a bug VAN anyway. LOL

Pam Aries said...

THAT is for sure a Blank canvas! BORING!!!!!! Let's attack it now! I cannot wait to get my VW BUS bsck! Lucretia is her name... and painting her is my GAME! ha!

peppylady (Dora) said...

There some old train station here that looks like federation home.
It so amazing to look at all the beautiful flowers.
It cold here.

Carole Burant said...

Hey we need to put some GLITTER on that VW bus!! hehe The houses you took pictures of are so beautiful...I love the different architecture than what we see here in Canada! Hugs xox

Suzie Ridler said...

What a pretty house! I think it's perfect for you and thank you for sharing it with us. I love that you fit in an oddball neighbourhood, perhaps I would fit in there too? Oh, to own a house one day. I'm working on it!

Daisy Lupin said...

Maybe I should buy the house for sale, but your right that wall would have to go, I want a picket fence. Thank you for showing these photos, more please.

Shell said...

Wow, what a beautiful place to go for a walk. The houses look so quaint. I think that I could live there too! There's nothing like the mountains in the mist and light rain....mmmm, lovely.

Janet said...

Those are such lovely houses. I like the federation home and the house with the lovely garden. You have a beautiful place to take a walk.

Blank canvas for sure! Let Kai get her hands on it!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Robyn,
I love the federation home. Very cozy looking.

The VW definitely needs some jazzing up for sure. It is just not right to see a totally white one.lol

Hugs,
Connie

KaiBlue said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH a really pretty baywindow 1976, poptop camper volkswagen type 2 transporter..drool!
AKA A VW Bus just screaming out to be loved..lol!!!
It's in good shape and I think Pam and I could do a wonderful job in brightening up the neighbourhood by adding some paint to the little darling.. :)
I'd call it snowflake..
Do you realise this is feeding my VW addiction Ms Robyn??
You're such a groovie friend...you need a VW bus..hint..lol..

PEace, Kai..

ps the houses are cute too..but the bus..sigh.. ok Im out.. Thankyou!!!

Tammy said...

What fun! A walk with pictures!! I wish it was warm enough here to do that... it is COLD! In the spring maybe! :) The VW - definitely a blank canvas! I'd love to have one to paint all over!

Jana B said...

Ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love the second house!!!!!! And the garden of the third... I love flowers! Unfortunately... I suck at remembering to water them. *giggle*