"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Friday, January 12, 2007

MY bounty from the sea



One cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach, one can collect only a few.
-Anne Morrow Lindbergh


*this quote was found on Pretty Lady's blog - I had never read it before but it was so perfect for my post today

I love to walk along the beach, if I lived by the sea-side, I would surely do it every day. I am not a water sign - being a double Capricorn, I am as earthy as you can get. BUT something about the seaside, stirs my soul. quietens my mind. While we were away, our car broke down so unfortunately I couldn't get to the beach as often as I would have liked - but the universe knows best and I did get to contemplate, to just be & to notice all the other beauty around me - the elderly man who went for a walk each day, despite his disability from a stroke, the men in their fishing boats, the pelicans, the sunrise.........AND even though I didn't get to the beach as often as I would have liked - I still managed to collect some shells & sea treasures. The walk to the shell graveyard must be done at low tide..so we had to get our timing right. This time it was around 7pm - so off I went..bucket in hand. over the sand and across the rocks til I found my first treasure - a rock!
a simple thing.


the collection of rocks that I collected on my walk


then I came across the shells, and like a child in an icecream parlour, I began to choose - there were millions! really. so I gathered some shells with my friends in mind and gathered some others to make myself a shell wreath to hang on my garden gate. And I gathered some shells just because.

and if you look really closely you will see my two pieces of sea glass - I wonder if they were a mermaids mirror?

Then I sat and watched the rock pool. I love to just sit and watch an entirely different world beneath the water. anenomes, little fish, crabs scurrying away....a goreous carpet of sand and the pool decorated with sea glass. Just lovely. Just perfect.

22 comments:

paris parfait said...

What beautiful finds, Robyn! It all sounds idyllic and wonderful - a much-deserved sojourn!

Paul said...

Thine tough shell - I dids't not know thee meant it quite so literally.


Anachronistically yours, yet keepin' on,

Percy Bysshe Silly
The Virgin Poet
Sort of

Suzie Ridler said...

What a fantastic bounty! You are so lucky to have so many shells where you are. I walk along our beach and it's a completely different experience. That's OK. I just need the water. I am Aquarius after all!

Shell said...

Your little holiday sounds so wonderful Ms R! One of my favourite things in the whole wide world is shell collecting, so I appreciate your little adventure. What a wonderful way to forget the worries of the world and meditate on nature!

KaiBlue said...

Oh
Build a castle on one of your rocks? or a mermaids home from shells?
Imagine her looking into glass of green,
at the prettiest mermaid ever seen?
your shells are so pretty and your description makes me long to be beside the Ocean again..
Peace, Kai.

Gill said...

Wow...I LOVE seaglass.
So glad you refreshed your woeful spirit, you earthy girl you...! But don't forget...Cappy's are SEAGOATS, and so, you long for the water, twice as much as the regular Capricorn!
I am Scorpio rising...so, hence my weirdness.
xoxo
I am glad you and the ocean were in tune! Like a soul tune-up.

Annabelle said...

Arent all the treasures from the sea so utterly magical???? Glad to see you had a lovely time by the seashore.

"Bye the sea
by the sea
by the beautiful sea"{Some Like It Hot}

Annabelle ~^..^~ xo

Heather said...

Water worn stones are so beautiful. I have various small stones tucked away in different spots and I call them my worry stones. I find it very soothing to absent-mindedly rub them with my thumb.

Those are lovely pictures you took.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I love seaglass, I have some in a small glass vase as well as various things with seashells around the house. I so wish our ocean beaches produced such amazing finds as yours. My aim this year is to go beaches I've never been before, all in the Pacific Northwest. Someday a foreign land but for now hopefully I will receive the shell from you as a link to that foreign land.
I so agree what a trip seaside can do for overall well being. so glad you were able to go.
XOXO
Lisa

Janet said...

Seashells are so beautiful, so fragile, so magical. You found lots of little goodies on your trip.

Rosa said...

I love collecting shells, but that sea glass is to die for! I have never found any!! Good for you.

Sheila said...

I have a small black pebble my mother picked up on an English beach many years ago. It is like silk. I often run my fingers over it, and think of her having done the same. Your assortment of shells is beautiful.

A bird in the hand said...

Lovely collection! My sister and I used to go shell-collecting on Captiva Island, off Florida. It's one of my favourite pastimes! xox

Annie Jeffries said...

Such beautiful gifts from the sea. I see the pretty green sea glass. I think shells must look the same the world over. They all look so familiar. Hugs

gma said...

Beautiful Robyn...
Gifts From the Sea is a favorite book of mine..simple pleasures are the best!!

Laurie said...

What a lovely collection of treasures from the sea.
By the way, have you ever read Anne Morrow Lindbergh's "Gift from the Sea" ~ one of my favorite books, a treasure in itself.

J C said...

Nice picture Robyn. I can send you a Florida shell if you'd like, or a shark's tooth. We have plenty of those! Your sea glass is beautiful, and a rare find...at least around here. If you want sea glass in Florida, you have to go to Michales and buy a package of it! Just think how many millions of years old those shells are.

Daisy Lupin said...

How beautiful your shells look, I just love the bleached colour of them wonderful tones to paint a wall.

Unknown said...

Thank you miss*R. These are just Wonder Full. I meant what I said about hanging around freshly-baked vacationers.

Naturegirl said...

Beautiful shells and pebbles..ahh to be by the sea ...I will be soon.:)NG

kansasrose said...

The simplest of treasures are the most beautiful. Good energy in these...will you build a shrine for them or sacred place?

Beth said...

I am Aquarius and I do love the water. I try to get to the beach as much as possible. And I love seashells too. What a nice time you had even if you had car troubles.