"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

desperately seeking.


I am an aussie girl with Cornish blood rushing through my veins, yes!
still not satisfied that I have at last proved I am from good Cornish stock. oh no! I need to find more and it is proving difficult. Because I just don't know which way to go from here - each time I find a website - I have to pay. Which of course I don't mind doing, if I am going to discover someone who belongs in my tree. pay 5 pounds here or buy vouchers there..or join for 299 pounds a year... but which one to choose? Or I can pay researchers to do it for me for 25 pounds an hour !


this is what I know so far:


Laura Tregilgas was born 1872 in East Stonehouse, Devon UK


to parents:


Francis Tregilgas - born 1833 in St Columb, Cornwall, UK (parents - William & Catherine *I think*)


and


Elizabeth Curnow - born 1835, Perran, Cornwall, UK (father - John *I think)

*Francis and Elizabeth were married in 1858 and lived in Bodmin Cornwall from 1861 until they moved to Devon sometime before 1881.


as far as I can make out - Francis and Elizabeth had 8 children - one of whom was my great grandma, Laura.


of course, these names aren't unusual, making it harder to trace.... I desperately want to find a little more - I don't want to hug some far distant cousin nor do I want to make a claim on the family fortune ( I don't think there is one) - however, I would love to know where my wiccan roots come from and I am planning on visiting Cornwall, either next year or the year after and I want to walk the places that my ancestors did and maybe find out just why my soul yearns so much.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Hi, Robyn,

Don't know if Australia has any Churches of the Latter Day Saints? You can use their vast genealogical histories for free, and you don't have to be a Mormon. A friend of mine traced her ancestors back to the 1700s. She just went to the LDS church here in Bismarck and they helped her get started. Fortunately, I have a Scottish second cousin doing research on our Munro clan. She uses Ancestry.com. Maybe you could use one of their free trials to look up what you need. (You don't have to pay to put info or photos on this site, but you do have to pay to research census records, etc.)

Kim Campbell said...

I agree. I got a lot from Ancestry.com's free trial. Also, I have gotten birth records and marriage certificates to keep tracing back. They are pretty inexpensive here.

Sometimes church records can be useful too.

amelia said...

I have also read tht Ancestry.com is the best site to use.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I was going to suggest the same as Julie Marie. The Mormon (LDS) Church it free and the only thing I know they charge to rent there mirco film and fish.
I haven't use the Mormon genealogy library for years but at that time you rent a film for two weeks or you rent for every and every.
Lot time the same people who was using the library might be looking in the same area.
They also have a genealogy site called lsd but not sure if it's a org or com

Rowan said...

I'll e-mail you tomorrow Robyn, I've done a little digging and have found Francis on all the Census returns from 1841 to 1871 - think I also have the death years for William and Catherine and have probably found Elizabeth Curnow too. You may well have a lot of it already of course but it's been interesting to search for them:) Don't think you'll have much trouble deciding which bit of Cornwall to visit, they seem firmly established around St Columb. Find Newquay and Padstow on a map and draw a line down from Padstow and across from Newquay and where they meet is pretty much St Columb.

fairytalesandflowers said...

that is fantastic, I would love to do that, good for you girl!!