"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

me - cultured ?

what have you girls done to me?
First collage, now reading poetry & trying my hand at haiku !
oh my! I am becoming 'cultured'.
I am usually in my garden, you see. reading herbal books. a hands in the earth girl. I have never been one for reading poetry nor creating art. Quilting & making dolls was my 'art' - I wasn't at all interested in poetry, ever.
Now I am trying to 'write' haiku. How do you do it? I have searched the net for help and found that I had to write down words, randomly. Yep can do that quite easily. But to try and get them to make sense? HA!

On the full moon, I am starting a new book (yes another self help book!) by Denise Linn - Soul Coaching & in the first week, she suggests reading poetry. So, on Thursday of last week, I took myself off to join our local library. Wanting to borrow a book of poetry by Rumi. I haven't been into a library for at least 10 years. I borrowed not one book but a few. Two poetry books - one by Rumi & another by Thomas Hardy, two novels, an australian heritage cookbook and a book called "A year of slow food" which is like a tossed salad - a mix of Peter Mayle's 'a year in Provence', On Rue Tatin and Under the Tuscan sun. All set in the southern highlands of New South Wales, two hours drive from where I live. About a couple who live off their own land. Recipes included. great book! So, I wandered aimlessly around the library. I had no idea what I was doing or what I was looking for
I just browsed the shelves, looking for a cover I liked. I know, you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but if I buy my wine for the label and have never been disappointed, I figured choosing a book for its cover should be ok. So far, my theory has proven correct. The Rumi poetry book is good. Having a hard time getting into reading it but I will.
Just to prove that this 'un-cultured-ness' does not run in my family - my pa was an opera singer, my youngest daughter can read music and is a grade 7 flautist and has had poetry published when she was about 11. AND here is a poem that my eldest daughter wrote in primary school.
Deep, purple, bumpy and oval.
squishy, moist, soft and juicy
good to smell
scrumptious, delicious and good to eat
I love mulberries good and sweet
so maybe, just maybe, there is hope for me yet.

13 comments:

Pear tree cottage! said...

Robyn, your blog without fail!!! always puts a smile on my face....poetry now! well I like that idear very much.

Your post on "junk" was great and so interesting to me being a "junk" collector from wayyyyyy! back. :o)

Have a great day.
Lee-ann

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Robyn. As former adults in my life used to tell me "you are just a late bloomer". Welcome to "culture". Hugs, A

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I truly don't think it's a matter of being uncultured...I think we all find things in our lives when the time is right. Perhaps discovering "it" now is just such a time. I also believe we get different things from different people in our lives - my love of writing and reading comes from my father....my artistic side comes from my mother. Somewhere a long the way I never picked up the gardening gene.
Enjoy the books!
XOXO

Maggii said...

"A year of slow food" which is like a tossed salad - a mix of Peter Mayle's 'a year in Provence', On Rue Tatin and Under the Tuscan sun. All set in the southern highlands of New South Wales, two hours drive from where I live. About a couple who live off their own land. Recipes included. great book! So, I wandered aimlessly around the library.
****
Oh...this sounds like a really good book....I've read Under the Tuscan Sun and I am reading A Year In Provence....and have enjoyed both....so I'm sure I'd enjoy this one...I'll have to go find it!

gma said...

The library is one of my favorite places...I worked in one for about 15 years. Sooo many good books.
Haiku
1st line 5 syllables
2nd line 7 syllables
3rd line 5 syllables.
Like this:

Hedgewitch poetry
horticultural delight
Robyn's herbs and charms

Janet said...

I could spend hours in a library just wandering around looking at books, touching them, leafing through them, just being surrounded by them. I simply love books....but I've never really enjoyed poetry! I heard everyone gasp! It just isn't my thing. I've tried but we just don't connect. I think it's wonderful that you're trying it and even trying haiku. I applaud you.

Gill said...

Gemma's haiku is soooo very....YOU!!!
Haiku?? You are a woman of many talents. Isn't it you that told me everything Capricorn touches turns to gold???
Have no fear, you shall excel in this as well Miss*r!!!

Lila Rostenberg said...

How good that you found such treasures in your library!
I like the poem about mulberries written by your daughter...so many people these days have never tasted a mulberry!

Sheila said...

To every thing there is a season..you are now at the time of your life where words and poetry touch you.
I love Thomas Hardy, and I think you will too, with your emotional ties to the West country..it is something you will enjoy.
Your girls get their talent from you...

KaiBlue said...

Im a mess when I want to be and prissy when I have to,
cultured..un cultured, we mermaids leave that description for pearls and other treasures..
I just know, if I were in Auz we'd share mulberry tarts and clotted cream..and maybe a few to float in my raspberry tea.. :)
Peace, Kai.

Gena said...

I love to read,and I am impressed that you are reading Rumi,I dont think you are uncultured at all! the main thing is you must enjoy whatever you are reading.xx

Tea said...

I`ve read some of Rumi..he`s good! That "A year of slow food" sure sounds good. One of these days I need to renew my library card and go visit! I`m just catching up here....I like your idea of an illustrated journal! What a wonderful thing to pass down through your family too.

Wouldn`t mind some of that junk at the sale. Especially the furniture. It would look nice painted or stained.

Go to http://www.curiousfox.com
That`s where I posted asking about my Grandad and my cousin in England found me! You might have some luck there...never know.

Your garden looks so cozy and magical at night. Would love to sit and share tea with you there :)

te
xo

Suzie Ridler said...

Your poem is so textured and deliciously bizarre! I love it. Poetry is the language of the soul, you are going to be good at this Robyn. See, you already are!